Location: Livermore, CA
Category: Science & Engineering
Posting Requirement: External w/ US Citizenship
Job ID: 101189
Job Code: Science & Engineering MTS 3 (SES.3) / Science & Engineering MTS 4 (SES.4)
Date Posted: June 03 2016
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Senior Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) Analyst to contribute across a broad spectrum of mission applications at the Laboratory. You will develop and integrate GIS and data analysis tools addressing challenging research and operational system applications, while working with members of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team of scientists, computer scientists, engineers, and IT staff. This position is in the Computing Department’s GS-CAD Division within the Computation Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Research complex spatial technology components and recommend appropriate software applications and information sources from commercial, classified, and open sources.
- Facilitate information sharing, analysis, and decision making through GIS.
- Develop advanced custom mapping interfaces and transform data to/from GIS formats.
- Develop training materials and perform demonstrations.
- Perform imagery analysis through geospatial intelligence using mapping data, satellite, photographs, and other GIS related data, as well as digitize imagery and create 3D renderings of areas of interest.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition at the SES.4 level
- Provide technical expertise as the scientific leader on trends and potential applications of GIS technology to support Laboratory mission.
- Provide technical expertise at LLNL in GIS, helping to define future direction and key areas where GIS can play a role at the Laboratory.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geospatial/Land/Urban Planning, Civil Engineering, or a related field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Significant experience performing complex GIS analyses utilizing advanced geospatial technologies and ability to obtain and maintain certification as a GIS Professional (GISP).
- Significant experience with GIS & Remote Sensing analysis packages (e.g., Esri ArcGIS, RemoteView, ENVI/IDL), as well as expertise with GIS platforms, CAD, ETL, and software development tools, (e.g. Esri, Google Maps APIs, GitHub, AutoCAD, FME, or other open source frameworks).
- Experience developing advanced algorithms and workflows for extracting feature content from imagery anddeveloping numerical and statistical models and techniques to characterize, fuse, and/or merge extracted features.
- Significant experience conducting advanced research involving geographic coordinate systems, map projections and coordinate conversions.
- Advanced knowledge of Federal Critical Infrastructure, Key Resources Geospatial Data and the members and partners providing federated data systems and services (e.g. Homeland Security Infrastructure Program (HSIP) or Homeland Infrastructure Foundation-Level Data (HIFLD)).
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with application scientists to bring complex research results into practical use in classified and SCI environments.
- Advanced verbal and written communication necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, prepare and present proposals and explain and advise management with recommendations for appropriate targeted application areas.
In addition at the SES.4 level
- Substantial experience providing solutions to complex GIS problems that require in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors and the creative use of established and/or innovative methods.
-Demonstrated ability to direct technical tasks and projects and/or set broad research/project vision and strategy and influence technical direction.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to prepare and present proposals and explain and advise senior management and/or external sponsors on recommendations for appropriate targeted application areas.
- Advanced knowledge of LIDAR technology, data format (LAS), and processing tools.
- Significant experience working with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), Department of Defense (DOD), and Combatant Commands (COCOMS).