||About the Position
The Geospatial Analyst/Programmer serves as an important member of MB&G's Geospatial Team. The team provides a full range of geospatial, software and database solutions and support for multi-disciplinary projects. The Geospatial Analyst/Programmer will perform the following tasks:
• Document work performed; web-ready and hard copy publications.
o Soft and hard copy publications for vegetation mapping, GIS mapping and analysis
o CD/DVD’s with training materials, companion notebooks and videos with step-by-step instructions
o Document database development ideas and record maintenance for insect & disease database project
o Aid forest health protection staff with technical issues
o Develop compatible forms for insect and disease input from field surveys
o Develop trip reports from technical assistance trips from Pacific islands
• Manage California Insect and Disease Database (CAIDA)
o Provide quality control checks of data being added to the database
o Coordinate with service area personnel on data quality
o Develop new ideas to improve database as needed
o Coordinate with national staff in working towards potential national adoption of program.
• Conduct GIS mapping and analysis to support forest health protection
o Conduct accuracy assessments of mapped data
o Create templates and maps for use by forest health personnel
o Create maps and posters
• Vegetation mapping of Pacific islands
o Lead member of a team to develop vegetation maps. Responsibilities include:
- Work cooperatively with Forest Service and partners to obtain data
- Manage data
- Develop classification scheme and methods
- Conduct analysis/mapping
- Conduct accuracy assessment
- Produce maps and other products to share with island partners
- Produce final report and maps.
• Provide technical training and technical assistance
o Develop GIS, remote sensing and database analysis training for partners
- Utilize forest action plans to help develop a strategy for GIS training throughout pacific islands
- Aid personnel in using GIS and databases
- Support of GPS/GIS training targeting Pacific islands to use the Stewardship Mapping and Reporting Tool.
• Report compilation, design, editing and graphical representation
o Work cooperatively with Forest Service and partners to compile data and information for reports.
o Develop graphical design for reports
o Manage data and information for forest pest reporting
• Attend meetings and serve as GIS team member for related projects, includes weekly State and Private Forestry staff meetings, field visits, training, and partner meetings.
To excel in this Senior Geospatial Analyst/Programmer position you need to possess a minimum of 5 years of proven experience successfully completing tasks requiring the following skills:
• Ability to perform GIS mapping and analysis to support forest health insect and diseases, vegetation mapping of pacific islands with pacific island partners and technical support and training for pacific island partners and forest health protection staff
• Integrated knowledge of GIS, Remote Sensing, Digital Image Processing, Cartography, Database Management, and Program Customization and Development
• In-depth understanding and extensive experience with vegetation, landuse/landcover, and forest insect & disease mapping and monitoring; mapping in tropical ecosystems
• Abilities to design innovative solutions and create customized tools for solving complex spatial and environmental problems
• Strong communication skills for project reporting, collaborating with outside project partners, developing training materials and delivering technical workshops
• GIS Specific
o ESRI ArcGIS platform for geographic data processing, management, and analysis
o Advanced spatial modeling and geoprocessing analysis
o Development of customized tools using scripting languages, Visual Basic and ArcObjects
• Remote Sensing and Digital Image Processing Specific
o ERDAS platform for remote sensing data processing and analysis
o eCognition Developer software for object-oriented image classification and analysis
• Cartography Specific
o Create complex maps and posters using various tools including ESRI ArcMap, ERDAS suite, and Adobe Creative Suite
• Database specific
o design, develop and manage advanced database systems using MS Access, SQL, and related software and tools
• Other skills and experience
o Strong skills with MS Office suite including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
o Field data collection using advanced equipment including digital cameras and various GPS devices
Mason, Bruce & Girard, Inc. is a full-service natural resources consulting firm, with expertise in environmental services, forestry and geographic information systems (GIS). A set of core values guide our work, focusing our efforts on providing responsible, sustainable solutions that meet client needs.
Our areas of expertise include forestry, wildlife, fisheries, wetlands, water quality, and GIS. Our work is characterized by the highest level of client service, the application of the best science and technology, quality processes and results, integrity, and our respect for the natural environment. We provide natural resource consulting services to both industry and government, and have done so since 1921.
Join Us/Apply Now
Click here http://www.masonbruce.com/careers/join-our-team/ or visit the Careers section of our website to send us your resume.
Mason, Bruce & Girard is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and we do not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status or consideration protected by local, state and federal laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies. Equal opportunity applies to hiring, promotion, training, compensation, and any other organizational action. MB&G’s written Affirmative Action Plan is available to all employees and job applicants upon request.
MB&G is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.