||The Department of Public Works is seeking qualified candidates to fill a Senior Systems Applications Programmer (SSAP) position as a member of the Technology Services Section. This position is available in the Capital Project Management System (CPMS)/Geographic Information System (GIS) Group.
The SSAP will report to an Information Systems Analyst (ISA). This position will be responsible for programming that supports the development and maintenance of major applications used by the Department of Public Works and city-wide operations.
The SSAP helps assure that systems meet customer expectations. The ideal candidate must be able to work in a dynamic environment and can effectively perform operational tasks in addition to supporting projects. The position will function with minimum supervision and must be a critical thinker and effective decision maker in line with responsibilities and duties detailed below. Written and verbal communication skills are very important since these positions may be a point of contact for internal customer technical support, serve a diverse customer base, and must maintain excellent customer relations.
Key responsibilities and duties within the specific work groups in Public Works is to perform programming to support the development and maintenance of two enterprise systems and may include but are not limited to:
1. CPMS - An in-house developed enterprise application that supports the Department of Public Works and city-wide operations in the management of capital projects.
2. GIS - A complex system of tools, especially the ArcGIS software stack, and an enterprise database that supports mapping and analysis of city assets (such as streets, sewer storm and water systems, and community centers) and many forms of spatial data (permits, code complaints, construction activities).
The programming will typically involve, but not be limited to, web front-ends connecting to Oracle or SQL Server databases.
Duties may include:
Documenting bugs and enhancements using Atlassian tools, including JIRA, Confluence and Bitbucket.
Maintaining existing applications.
Providing end-user training and support.
Preparing and updating end-user and technical documentation.
Training staff on programming related topics.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
1. Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Public Administration, Computer Technology, or a closely related field.
2. Experience: Three (3) years of increasingly progressive experience in computer systems applications programming (Information Technology).
3. Acceptable Substitutions: Additional years of directly related work experience may be substituted for up to a maximum of two years of the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise: Demonstrate knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices of application management, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations
Customer Service: Approaches problem-solving by focusing on customers first; advocates for customer results point of view; demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner. Demonstrates ownership, attention to detail, and effective/efficient follow-through.
Problem Solving: Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Project Management: Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
Team Work & Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Communication: Communicates and listens effectively and responds in an timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form responds to statements and comments of others in a way that reflects understanding of the content and the accompanying emotion; asks clarifying questions to assure understanding of what the speaker intended, ensures consistent communication takes place within area of responsibility
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
1. Please describe a web application you developed, including information about the database, programming language, server-side environment (e.g. PHP, ColdFusion, .NET, Node.js ) and front-end framework/libraries (e.g. Angular JS, Bootstrap ) used in the development.
3. Describe your experience resolving enterprise application or database challenges. Include your role and responsibilities and how you resolved the challenges.
4. Please provide links to your web development projects or attach screenshots of your work. If you are attaching screenshots, please indicate Screenshots attached to application. Files attached must not exceed 2MB in size.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Mike Brown.